Systems Engineer (IaaS)
Exciting challenges lie ahead – new digital technologies and alternative ways of working are transforming the way we protect our communities and bring people to justice. We recognise that continued training and professional development is important and we aim to continue to improve on your capabilities.
TVP as an employer contribute 13.5% of pensionable pay into a member’s pension pot. You will enjoy a fantastic range of benefits including lifestyle discounts, career performance related pay increases and a positive work-life balance. You will be entitled to 24 days of annual leave per annum pro-rata for part time (plus Bank Holidays).
Technology Services is a function within the Joint ICT Department of Hampshire Constabulary and Thames Valley Police. We are responsible for keeping the blue lights on and delivering innovative solutions to ensure Police Officers and staff can access key services that allow us to stay online, connected and ahead of the game. We are looking for dynamic technologists to help lead the technical delivery and support of our next generation infrastructure environment.
As a Systems Engineer within the Infrastructure as a Service team, you will be responsible for the configuration and support of on premise and cloud based platform technologies such as VMware and Azure.
Your role is to support our business as usual initiative, ensuring regular maintenance activities are carried out and completed on time, and to support the delivery of agreed service levels within the ITIL Framework. You will possess excellent problem solving skills to investigate, diagnose and rectify issues relating to infrastructure services.
Professional skills required:
- Demonstrate excellent troubleshooting skills to investigate, diagnose, and rectify issues relating to Infrastructure Services.
- Able to understand and articulate how the application of ICT technology impacts the organisation, business objectives and processes, ideally within policing or public sector.
- Able to achieve significant outcomes through influence and persuasion rather than through direct line authority.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, customer focused, who is a flexible, adaptable, problem solver and able to work systematically within a team and with little direct supervision.
- Must have capability to travel to different locations across both Forces and undertake all assignments in a timely manner.
The essential technical skills required:
- Practical experience working with different infrastructure/application platforms and delivery mechanisms including public/private cloud, IaaS, SaaS, PaaS based on VMware and Microsoft technologies.
- VMware vSphere and VMware NSX - experience of maintaining a VMware infrastructure based on vSphere and NSX v6.x with an awareness of NSX Distributed Firewall, virtual distributed switches (vDS), VMware Update Manager, vRealize Operations Manager (vROPs) and VMware Log Insight.
- Experience of building, configuring and maintaining physical servers, blade servers, blade chassis and virtual servers with experience of VMware ESXi, Microsoft Windows Server 2016/2019 and Lenovo hardware.
Desirable technical skills:
- Practical experience in delivering and supporting virtual, physical and cloud server infrastructures within an ITIL focussed environment.
- Practical experience in the build, configuration, operational usage and maintenance of more than one of the following; Microsoft Windows servers, VMware vSphere, VMware NSX, Lenovo Storage V Series storage, Lenovo ThinkSystem physical servers, Lenovo Flex System Enterprise Chassis or Nessus Vulnerability Scanner.
- Awareness of TCP/IP networking especially within a VMware NSX context.
If you have not held residency in the UK for at least 12 months within the last 3 years, we will not be able to process an application from you.
If you have any questions about the job please email Tracy Ryder on Tracy.Ryder@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk .
To apply please send your CV together with a cover letter explaining your reasons for wanting to work with Thames Valley Police and why you feel you are suitable for the role in line with the job requirements to RecruitmentStaffICT@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk quoting reference 16986.
If you have any queries please contact People Services Recruitment Department on 0845 2 66 66 77 – Option 1 (internal 301 6500) quoting the job reference number.
The closing date for enquiries and receipt of completed applications is Sunday 16th August 2020. We may not always wait until the job advert closes to review and progress applications so we suggest that you submit your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment!
Police Officers and Police Staff have access to a fantastic range of benefits, dependant on role, location and length of service. To view a full list of our benefits please click here
All posts require a level of Police Vetting as per the National Vetting Code of Practice. The residency requirement is necessary to enable all applicants to be checked in an equitable manner. Thames Valley Police will allow applicants to apply who do not necessarily reach the criteria as long as they have proven UK residency and supporting evidence where necessary. Applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
Thames Valley Police serves diverse communities; to truly reflect this, we are keen to recruit people from Black, Asian and other minority backgrounds. We value the knowledge and experiences that individuals bring from different cultures and welcome any contributions that can enhance the services we deliver to the public.
We believe in investing in all of our people, and run tailored Positive Action Initiatives to support our colleagues from underrepresented backgrounds in their personal and professional development, ensuring everyone has a level playing field to succeed, progress and feel fulfilled in their careers.