Principal Apps Developer
Different people bring different perspectives which leads to new ideas and solutions to the challenges we face and you could be part of something that matters.
The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Department is a shared function that provides services for all information technology, communications devices and applications across Hampshire Constabulary and Thames Valley Police while collaborating closely with our neighbouring South Easterly regionally integrated forces (SERIP) and adhering to national directives.
Click here to watch a video about the ICT Department and what it means to work with us.
We are increasing the permanent headcount within the Application and Data Development team to increase our ability to deliver high-value solutions for multiple, innovative, pioneering programmes aligned to strategic directives. Specifically delivering solutions that meet the objectives set-out within Digital Public Contact, Digital Transformation, Data and Technological Enabling programmes, all of which make a tangible difference to front-line policing and supports back-office functions.
We uphold ourselves against the highest ethical and professional standards while adhering to the policing principles, including; Accountability, Integrity, Openness, Fairness, Leadership, Respect, Honesty, Objectivity and Selflessness which underpin our decision making and forge a culture of achievement and improvement
This is an exciting opportunity for the role of Principle Developer, operating within an organisation where you will be responsible for delivering innovative solutions using some of the latest technologies/platforms, conforming to industry, regional and national standards. This role carries a high-level of accountability for the quality of software development delivery with substantial personal responsibility and autonomy for technical design, development and support and is one of force’s subject matter experts on software design, development and support of front-end and back-end solutions. Responsible for the coaching and mentoring of developers to increase the capability of the team. Leading in the detailed peer reviews of code, component designs and documents with internal or external staff to ensure quality of component delivery.
Who we are looking for
You will be an enthusiastic, motivated and motivational individual who would relish imparting their methods, working practices and instilling a team ethos within an expanding function. You must have the ability to self-organise and perform technical leadership by example, directing and instigating cross-domain/team activities when necessary. We would expect the candidate to be extremely strong technically, performing hands-on development while possessing the tenacity to overcome barriers, driving the products and team forward.
We recognise that professional progress is important for type of candidate that would find the level of influence, autonomy and responsibility this role brings appealing and therefore, you will have the opportunity to take advantage of an array of training modules to aid continual development.
Organisations such as ours, underpinned by the growth mind-set do not assume that talent is irrelevant; merely that it isn’t enough. From a growth mind-set, we are looking like-minded, engaging individuals who have the agility, adaptability and innovation who strive to continually improve. The sense of satisfaction from being a fundamental part of any such achievement will be highly rewarding both personally and professionally for the right candidate.
You will get exposure to working with a variety of platforms, products and languages including Microsoft Azure, Android, Dynamics CRM, RESTful APIs, Relational/Non-relational databases, Enterprise level ETL solutions and Visualisation tools. To be someone well suited for this role within the team, you will be an experienced practitioner at much of our core technology stack. Any level of exposure to alternative tools & technologies would be advantageous.
Core experience, technologies, tools and skills
- .NET 4.6 + and/or .NET Core
- SQL Server 2016 +
- Data Integration Tools (SSIS)
- Visual Studio and Azure DevOps
- Agile, Kanban, TDD
Advantageous experience, technologies, tools and skills
- Python, R
- Angular.js, JQuery, Node.js, Xamarin
- Azure Application, Integration and/or Cloud Services
- Data Modelling, Warehousing & Business Intelligence (SSAS, SSRS, Power Platform)
- Common Data Service, Common Data Model
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience as a full stack software developer and systems designer of complex ICT developments from initial concept through development and implementation to operation and support.
- High Level of detailed solution design and development using a mixed variety of software platforms, technologies and languages in accordance with technical architectures and agreed national/internal standards that are capable of meeting defined business needs and objectives.
- Leads on the planning and preparation of coherent detailed development, acceptance and implementation plans covering all aspects of technical work.
- Understanding and recommendation of appropriate industry standard technical tools, methodologies and techniques in an intelligent and effective way to investigate, analyse and improve solution development.
- Experienced and having a proven track record in coaching, mentoring and influencing colleagues.
- Ability to achieve significant outcomes through influence and persuasion rather than direct line authority.
- 24 days holiday + up to 12 Flexi days annually + Bank Holidays
- Ability to enrol in the LGPS pension scheme where TVP contribute 13.5% of pensionable pay into members pension fund
- Availability for flexible working
- Annually procured Visual Studio Enterprise subscription providing monthly Azure credits, access to software, licences and training content
- Part of a forward thinking and autonomous team
If you have not held residency in the UK for at least 12 months within the last 3 years, we will not be able to process an application from you.
If you have any questions about the job please email Tracy Ryder on Tracy.Ryder@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk .
To apply please send your CV together with a cover letter explaining your reasons for wanting to work with Thames Valley Police and why you feel you are suitable for the role in line with the job requirements to RecruitmentStaffICT@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk quoting reference 16477.
If you have any queries please contact People Services Recruitment Department on 0845 2 66 66 77 – Option 1 (internal 301 6500) quoting the job reference number.
We may not always wait until the job advert closes to review and progress applications so we suggest that you submit your CV as soon as possible to avoid disappointment! Please be aware that due to the current circumstances, interviews may be conducted via telephone or video conferencingWe may not always wait until the job advert closes to review and progress applications so we suggest .
Police Officers and Police Staff have access to a fantastic range of benefits, dependant on role, location and length of service. To view a full list of our benefits please click here
All posts require a level of Police Vetting as per the National Vetting Code of Practice. The residency requirement is necessary to enable all applicants to be checked in an equitable manner. Thames Valley Police will allow applicants to apply who do not necessarily reach the criteria as long as they have proven UK residency and supporting evidence where necessary. Applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
Thames Valley Police serves diverse communities; to truly reflect this, we are keen to recruit people from Black, Asian and other minority backgrounds. We value the knowledge and experiences that individuals bring from different cultures and welcome any contributions that can enhance the services we deliver to the public.
We believe in investing in all of our people, and run tailored Positive Action Initiatives to support our colleagues from underrepresented backgrounds in their personal and professional development, ensuring everyone has a level playing field to succeed, progress and feel fulfilled in their careers.